Prayers and Squares
What is Prayers & Squares?
Prayers & Squares is an interfaith outreach that combines the gift of prayer with the gift of a hand-tied quilt. Unlike many other groups that make quilts for charitable causes, the purpose of Prayers & Squares in not to make and distribute quilts, but to promote prayer through the use of quilts.
Our motto is: “It’s not about the quilt; it’s all about the prayers.”
Each Knot Represents a Prayer. The idea behind these prayer quilts is simple. A heavy thread is used to take stitches through the quilt layers, and the ends are left free to be tied with a square knot.
As each knot is tied, a silent prayer is said for someone in special need, who then receives the finished quilt.
The quilt is a tangible reminder of God’s loving, comforting and healing presence. Recipients are able to wrap themselves in the prayers and love of God’s people.
How does Prayers & Squares represent the “heart” of EUMC?
This ministry completely embraces our Mission Statement as a servant church. It also reflects our core beliefs as Christians, and allows everyone to participate while growing and sharing in their faith. While prayer is the main focus of this ministry, its scope is unlimited. As the family, friends, medical staff and other people come in contact with the recipient, their prayer quilts become “patchwork evangelists”.
Do I need to be able to sew to participate? NO!
Here’s a partial list of ways you can help and serve the Lord without sewing skills:
- Prayer – The “soul” of this ministry – you may lead, host, and/or belong to a small group devoted to lifting recipients in prayer.
- Coordinator of leaders, workers and smaller groups.
- Communication with sponsors, recipients and members.
- Making and printing labels.
- Newsletter and bulletin announcements.
- Making posters and getting the word out to the congregation.
- Organizing and storage of supplies and inventory.
- Scheduling work days with staff in church office – day and time to be determined.
- Readying quilt for delivery.
- Setting up and directing congregation for tying the prayer knots in the quilts after any of the 3 services.
- Set up and cleanup for work days.
- Coordinate potluck meals for entire workdays if that is what we choose to do.
- Help with fundraising.
- Cutting squares of fabric.
- Laundering and ironing material.
- Purchasing supplies.
- Lay out quilt designs.
- Copying and collating instruction material and prayer quilt sponsor forms.
- Filing and keeping records.
- Taking pictures of quilts, workdays, etc.
- Treasurer/Finance person(s)
When will we meet?
Workshop Days are usually scheduled for the third Thursday of each month. They will always be from 10 – 3 and in Fellowship Hall 1 and 2. You are welcome to stay the whole day, or for whatever amount of time you can offer. If you plan on staying on campus for the noon meal, please bring your own bagged lunch and beverage. Changes in the schedule or in lunch plans will be updated here, as well as in the bulletin and on pre-service announcement slides.
Thu, Sep 19, 2019 | 10:00 am - 3:00 pm
Who Should I Contact?
Prayers & Squares Facilitator: