Volunteer @ EUMC
Volunteering with Children or Youth
Volunteers are always needed to work with our children in the following areas:
- School – Each Sunday we provide Sunday School for our children ages 3 – 5th grade. This is done during the 9:15 service. Teachers and helpers in the classroom are always needed. There is also a combined class for ages 4 years to 5th grade, and a Youth class for 6th-12th grade during the 11:00 service.
- Nursery – Nursery volunteers are always needed on Sunday mornings during our 9:15 and 11:00 services.
Wednesday Night Programming
- Nursery volunteers are needed from 5:30-7:30.
- Adults are needed to help lead the children in free play on the playground, choir practice and then in the age appropriate classrooms for learning and activities. Children’s Ministry is from 5:30-7:30 every Wednesday evening.
- Youth also meets on Wednesday from 5:30 to 7:30. Please contact Gil Martin, Director of Youth Ministries at 941.474.5588, ext. 103 if you would like to help with students grades 6-12.
Non Worship Times
- Nursery – Nursery volunteers are always needed on Wednesday nights and for various special events.
- Special Events – Special events are only successful if we have enough volunteers to help. These include things like our Easter Egg Hunt, Vacation Bible School, camp, Parent’s Time to Shop and many other special times. Special Events for youth include things like Mission trips, winter & spring break trips, camp, concerts, fund raisers and much more.
Please know that for some volunteer positions, background checks and child safety training will need to be done. If you are interested in volunteering, please contact Ms. Suzie at 941.474.5588 ext. 257 or Gil at 941.474.5588 ext. 103.
Volunteering for W.O.W (Word on Wednesday) Night Meals
Our Wednesday Night Meals include Fun, Fellowship and Food. To provide each meal, we need volunteers. If you are interested in helping, please contact Charlie Hicks at 941.468.7384. Here is what help is needed:
- Tuesday Afternoons – This is the time we move tables (strong helpers appreciated) and prepare the decorations for the theme (everyone is welcome to help). The group generally gets started around 1-2:00 and works a couple of hours. The time for food prep varies on the meal being served that week. Please note that during the summer months most of the prep work is all done on Wednesday.
- Wednesday Afternoons – This is the time we finish moving, setting and decorating the tables. This is also the time final food preparation is done. The group generally gets started at 2:00.
- Servers are needed in two shifts: 5:00 – 5:45 and then 5:45 – 6:30. We request that all servers wear a hat, shorts (please no real short shorts) or pants, a T-shirt, close toed shoes, gloves and an apron. Please note, the hat, gloves and apron will be provided by us.
- Cleaners are critical. Dishes need to be picked up, washed, dried and put away (luckily we have an automatic dishwasher). Tables need to be cleared and cleaned. Pots and pans need to be washed often by hand. Individuals volunteering for clean up can arrive anytime between 5:30 and 6:30. You may want to plan on staying until 7:30.
- Laundry is done the next day. Table cloths, aprons, and dish towels all need to be laundered and put away. You can use the church’s machines or take a bundle home with you.
Volunteering for Local Missions
Meals on Wheels
Serving missions locally. Meals on Wheels is seeking volunteers. Help is needed both in the kitchen and also for drivers to deliver the meals. Only a few hours a week will make a tremendous difference. Call 941.474.4445.
Congregational Care Ministry
Congregational Care is an umbrella group including many ministries that address the needs of people. It includes, but is not limited to, hospital and care facility visitation, home communion, Stephen Ministry, GriefShare and DivorceCare and many more. If you are interested, please contact Pastor Don Burlock, 941.474.5588.
Family Promise is an national organization that utilizes churches to help break the cycle of homelessness for area families. A few times a year EUMC hosts a group of families for a week long stay as they transition to stable housing. It takes many volunteers to ensure their immediate needs are met with grace and dignity. Volunteers set up and take down the living quarters, prepare meals, provide company and assistance. For more information or to volunteer for this ministry, please contact Maria Ciampi, 941.473.0945.
Volunteering for Elements of Worship on Sunday Mornings
The following are volunteer opportunities that help to enhance and enrich the worship experience. If you are interested in any of these roles, please contact the person listed below or our church office.
Howard White coordinates. After the 11:00 service on Sundays deliver altar, pulpit and lectern flowers to various nursing homes. Decorate the flower cross at Easter services with fresh, cut flowers.
Communion Set Up
Don and Anita Melhorn coordinate volunteers on the first Saturday of the month and during the communion Sunday Service. They prepare the elements for Sunday Communion and clean up after the services.
Nancy Volrath (941.697.4233) coordinates for the 7:45 and 11:00 services and Mike and Jane Parker (941.564.6844) for the 9:15 service. You would greet people as they enter the sanctuary on Sunday mornings and at special events.
Mary Lathrope coordinates the 7:45 am service and Millie Wischnowsky coordinates the 11:00 service. Acolytes carry the light to and from the altar at Sunday services and special services.
Ushers assist people in the sanctuary and pass out bulletins. Jake Mankey is the head usher for the 7:45 & 11:00 am services, and Mary Brown for the female ushers. Please call the church office if you are interested to volunteer.
Brownie Schoenbauer and Georgiana Squier are the co-chairs of this new ministry. To volunteer, you commit to cover one shift a Sunday for one month, twice a year. You assist people as needed as they enter or leave services. Please contact Joyce in the church office for more information or to sign up.
Sanctuary Computer and Video Operators
Steve Eittreim 941.474.5588 Operates the computer to put visual images on the screens during the Sunday service and at special events.
These volunteers set up and serve coffee and treats before and after each Sunday service. Set up work is also done on Saturdays.
Please call Suzie Asa at 941.474.5588 to help provide child care during church services and special church events.
Home Bound Communion
Please call Mike & Jane Parker at 941.564.6844 to serve communion to our home bound church members on the first Sunday of the month.
Sunday Morning Bus Driver
Please call Joyce 941.474.5588 if you can volunteer Sunday mornings 9:15 – 11:00 and noon – 1:30 to provide transportation to church for those who cannot drive but want to attend the 11:00 service. No additional drivers license is needed to provide this ministry.